Sunday 12 December 2010

Primary Research Evaluation

The first question I asked my target market was, "Do you find seductive and attractive females a good feature in music videos and does it appeal to you as a person?" which gained a majority vote of yes with only 50 people saying no, the response to this question proved to be an advantage to me and my team due to the fact that our whole music video surrounds seductive and attractive females and judging from the response will no doubt help to be a useful promotional tool in gaining popularity and viewers.

"Would you say the colour and ethnicity of the artist/ dancers in a music video affects whether or not the music video would be aesthetically attractive to you?" was the second question that I asked my target market, the response I gained from this question was just as I had anticipated with 230 people saying no and just 20 people saying yes. The music industry is surrounded with music artists from all over the world and different ethnicities so therefore the idea of using a black afro Caribbean artist and also dancers for our music video was not a worry to any of us as most popular artists nowadays are predominantly black.

"Reggae music is one that does not attract as much mainstream coverage as other genres, does Reggae music appeal to you as a genre?", I was very worried about the response to this question due to the fact that many music channels do not show reggae videos as much as genres although this is beginning to change now. Luckily the response to this question put my mind at rest with 180 people saying that reggae does appeal to them as a genre, although it may prove to be a difficult process in attracting a larger 'hype' surrounding our music video I believe with extensive promotion and placing our video on YouTube will no doubt help to increase the popularity.

"Do you think the success of an artist depends on their gender?", the answer to this question was once again as I had predicted with 230 people saying yes and only 20 saying no. I believe that female artists are actually MORE successful than male artists due to the fact that they are able to attract a wider audience and marketing themselves more as a sexual object to males and an inspiration/ influence to females attracting both genders and increasing their popularity. Some examples include artists such as Rihanna, Beyonce and reggae artists such as Ce'Cile and Lady Saw.

"How visually attractive would a black and white music video be in your eyes?", I was very sceptical about creating our music video in black and white due to the fact that there are a minimal number of music videos shot in black and white but I have come to the realisation that it creates a unique selling point to our music video (USP) and my target market seems to agree with me with only 30 people disagreeing. Having a USP allows product differentiation from the hundreds of music videos currently out and will no doubt help to ease the promotion and advertising process because the USP is a tool within itself and literally markets itself.




No comments:

Post a Comment